- On February 12, 2020
Aquinas College of Higher Studies in Colombo has reached great heights, widening its academic pursuits, branches out to Kalutara in keeping with the noble ideals of founding Fathers. The Kalutara branch started to breathe afresh when His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo blessed and declared open the three-storeyed building away from hustle and bustle of Kalutara Township, to a calm and serene locality closer to the main town. After which an ebony sapling was planted on Saturday 1st February 2020.
Addressing the gathering, Noel Fernando of the academic staff welcomed all who gathered for the occasion. Rev. Dr. Susith Mark Silva, Vice Chancellor / Rector of Aquinas stated that “This is a very unique and blessed moment for Aquinas College of Higher Studies. We are entering into a wider world to educate young people who lack many opportunities in their educational field. We as a College of Higher Education are well equipped, to guard, guide and lead young people to find their pathway to education. We welcome you and we treat you equally in giving you the best of education”.
His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, Chancellor of Aquinas then addressing the gathering said “My dear young people, we love you and you are our heritage. We are very well aware that You Young People suffer many a deprivation. We are very conscious of it. Let me tell you, from time immemorial the Church has been working very hard to educate and uplift the quality of life especially in the field of education. We welcome you heartily! Do join us! We are with you”.
Vote of thanks was proposed by Noel Samarathunga the Chief Coordinator of Kalutara branch. Thereafter the national anthem was sung.
The Aquinas College of Higher Studies;
- Founded in 1953 by the Very Rev. Fr. Peter A. Pillai OMI with the blessings and the inspiration of His Eminence Thomas Cardinal Cooray – 6th Archbishop of Colombo.
- Registered with the Ministry of Education of Ceylon in 1954.
- Aquinas was shifted to the present premises at No. 30 Gnanartha Pradeepaya Mawatha Colombo 8 in 1954.
- It is a Non-Profit institution administered by the Catholic Church under the auspices of the Archdiocese of Colombo devoted to education and philanthropic activities.
- It is registered with the Tertiary and Vocational Educational Commission (TVEC).
- Affiliated to the International Federation of Catholic Universities in Paris and the City and Guilds, CIM, CMA
- Now a Degree Awarding Institute which is approved by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Aquinas College of Higher Studies offers many Degree, Diploma and Certificate Courses through different Faculties and Departments.
- Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Agriculture